Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Mindset

I get asked a lot of questions about our school. They include questions such as why do people work at Jones and never want to leave? How do you get to a culture of transparency? How do you get teachers to collaborate together to meet the demanding needs of high poverty students? What makes your school have a culture of excellence? These questions do not have simple answers; they are not easy to answer. I have reflected upon these questions many times....and I keep going back to one word....MINDSET.

 In the world our students live in, it's easy for them to get caught up in a grueling fixed mindset state of mind...I can't do this; It's too hard; I'm not smart enough; I've been dealt the hand I've been given and nothing is going to change for me now. As educators, we have to help our students move towards a growth mindset. A growth mindset exists when a person believes that your basic qualities are things you can cultivate through your efforts; everyone has the ability to change and grow through application and experience (Carol Dweck).

It is my personal belief if teachers are going to help students transition from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset, they must examine their own mindset about the students they teach and mentor. We begin every year by examining our own mindsets. Do we truly believe every child can learn at high levels with the right scaffolds and differentiated instruction? When a child hasn't learned a concept, do we throw blame at the student (I taught it but you don't care)? Or do we point the finger back on ourselves and reflect on what we did right, what we need to change, and what are we going to do differently to ensure what we are teaching is getting learned? The question we ask often is "If I taught it and they didn't get it, was it ever really taught in the first place?"

 I ask teachers at the beginning of the school year to think of a special child in their life. It could be their own children, grandchildren, nieces/nephews, friends, special student, etc, etc. I ask them to think about the school and educational experience they want for that child. Do they want a teacher that is going to have high expectations for him/her? Or do they want the teacher that is quick to blame others and make excuses as to why the child isn't learning? As the mother of two young children, I know which teacher I want my child to have; one that can help grow my child into a 21st century learner despite any obstacles she brings. I want a teacher to help develop my daughter's growth mindset to instill the belief she can do anything if she works hard enough. I also know which school I want her to attend...a school where teachers embrace the concept of growth mindset and make it part of their day to day work. I want a school full of educators that focus on 95% solution and 5% problem. I want a school full of teachers that understand best teaching practices are cultivated through effort and a lot of hard work, and working together is better.

I challenge every person reading this blog to pick up a copy of Carol Dwek's Mindset. I encourage anyone in education to take a close, heartfelt look at their own  mindset. What do you truly believe about kids and their potential? Are you the kind of teacher you want your own child to have? If we could all shift our mindset from fixed to growth....then we could begin to help our students do the same. Wouldn't our world be a different, better place?

No comments:

Post a Comment