Tuesday, January 13, 2015

We Read Because We Believe We Can Read


I teach all content areas in 5th grade and very much enjoy the variety of content I get to work with in doing so; however, teaching literacy to English Language Learners is the single most rewarding thing about my job. Saying that is actually quite surprising, seeing as I personally struggled with reading in school.  Being a native English speaker from a middle class family is a blatant cultural difference between me and my 27 students, but the fact that I struggled with reading as a young learner is one connection we most certainly have. Because of this, when I see them succeed in literacy I very much understand what that accomplishment means to them and their life and the freedom they will experience because of it.



When I start each new school year I ask my students what their favorite subject is and what their least favorite subject is. This is a part of an interest inventory that I conduct in order to learn a little more about my students.  The underlying question there is “what is your best subject and your worst subject” because I've found that they enjoy what they believe they are good at. This year the data collected wasn't much different than in years past.  22% of my class reported that reading was their favorite subject. Twenty-two percent. That’s only 6 out of 27 students. What I see in that number is loads of opportunity. When I was ten, I would have been right there with them. It wasn't until I no longer feared reading that I actually succeeded. It is my goal for each of my students to leave my room with confidence in their ability to read and to no longer fear it but embrace it.


One of the methods I use to develop a love of reading among my students is Close Analytical Reading.  The purpose of close reading is to teach students to access complex text no matter their reading level.  This has been extremely successful in my class especially with the implementation of digital text. Only 30% of my class started the school year at or above grade level in reading; yet, daily I challenge them to read above grade level, complex text.  The key has been scaffolding, asking text dependent questions aimed at pointing my students directly to evidence in the text that I want them to attend to and having open ended discussion about the purpose and meaning of the text. Some days this process is brutal, but I live for the moments in the day when I see wide-eyed “Ah-Ha”s all across the room. As the year goes on, those moments come more frequently and students begin to believe they can read whatever I put in front of them.  Once that transition occurs, there is no longer a ceiling on what we can read and the depth at which we can understand it.  Some days I look out at my class and think, “Are you really ten? Can this really be?” The reality is, not only are they ten, but most of them are still learning English! They inspire me beyond words and I am truly lucky to witness their strength and determination daily.



Below is copy of a close read we did last month, an excerpt from a letter that Leonardo da Vinci wrote to the Duke of Milan… it has been one of my students’ favorites!


“Most Illustrious Lord: Having now sufficiently seen and considered the proofs of all those who proclaim themselves masters and inventors of instruments of war, and finding that their invention and use of the said instruments are nothing different from common practice, I am emboldened, without prejudice to anyone else, to put myself in communications with Your Excellency, in order to acquaint you with my secrets, thereafter offering myself at your pleasure effectually to demonstrate at opportune times all those things which are in part briefly noted below:
I have a sort of extremely light and strong bridges, adapted to be most easily carried, and with them you may pursue, and at any time flee from the enemy.
I have kinds of mortars, most convenient and easy to carry, and with these can fling small stones almost resembling a storm; and with the smoke of these causing great terror to the enemy, to his great detriment and confusion.
I will make covered chariots, safe and unattackable, which, entering among the enemy with their artillery, there is no body of men so great that they would break them.
In case of need I will make big guns, mortars, and light ordnance of fine and useful forms, out of the common type. Where the operation of bombardment should fail, I would contrive catapults, mangonels, trabocchi (trebuchet) and other machines of marvelous efficacy and not in common use.

In short, I can contrive various and endless means of offense and defense.”

No comments:

Post a Comment